Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Cory Letters - November 7, 1861

Note: I have been unable so far to determine what unit(s) James’ father and brother Nate may have served in. George W. Haight was another private in Company E, 6th US Cavalry. The Lieutenant Colonel that Cory refers to is William H. Emory, who joined the regiment from service on the frontier with the 1st (later 4th) U.S. Cavalry at the outbreak of the war.


Camp east of Capitol Hill
Washington D.C. Nov 7th, 1861

Dear Mother,

I sent you a letter the other day and had I known what I know now I would have sent this small sum of money which I enclose now. I wish I had four times as much to send you. However every little helps and I am glad that I have as much as this to spare, it is half that I have and pay day is a good way of yet. I am sorry to hear about Nate’s disappointment. It may make him worse or it may make him better. I do hope that he will learn a lesson by it and never be caught like that again. I wrote him a good letter and I hope that he will write me a pleasant one in return.

This morning I dispatched two to MI, one to George and the other to William also one to Kate. I sealed it up in a hurry this morning without thinking to put the money in it our mail goes out early in the morning.

If Pa is agoing to answer my letter it is almost time that I knew it. I hope he will but I doubt it some for he did not answer them when I was to home. It makes me wish myself to home now you are all alone. I used to think that if George would go away from home I should be a little better boy he provoked me so and now that he is away it makes me wish my self to home once in a while.

I hope that this war will end and I be discharged because I want to go to school so bad. But I do not think there s any danger of their discharging us regulars untill our time is out. We will be sent on the Frontier probably as our Lieut.-Col (he will be our Col. I guess) is an old Frontiersman. George Haight heard him say that he should go there. I hope that it may be so if they keep us three years for they will not be so strict there and then I can get a Furlough to come home once a year.

If I get a letter from Pa or Nate I will tell you all about them. I do not know how long we shall stay here but if we remain a week longer our barracks will be done. I went through them to day. We are to have straw ticks and three will sleep in a bunk with some.

I want you to write once in a while twice in a while if you can and Kate six times as often. Tell me all about our old neighbors out of town and in. No more at present.
From your son James Cory.

Mrs. B.M. Cory
P.S. enclosed you will find a 2 ½ gold piece.
J.H. Cory

No comments: