Thursday, July 24, 2008

6th Cavalry -- July 1862

The regiment continued active campaigning in July, withdrawing down the York River back to Fortress Monroe and shipping to Harrison’s Landing on the James River by month’s end. Companies C remained in Washington under Captain A.W. Evans. The regiment's assigned strength this month was 889 officers and enlisted men, down 32 from June.

Of the 42 officers assigned, 22 were listed as present for duty. Assistant Surgeon J.H. Pooley was detached from the regiment to work at Fortress Monroe, and Doctor D.L. Rogers joined in his place on July 18th. Captain August V. Kautz continued to command the regiment. Half of the regiment’s 12 companies were led by lieutenants. The deaths of Lieutenants Hugh McQuade and Peter McGrath finally showed in this month’s return.

Captain Kautz’ narrative of the month’s activities is listed at the bottom of the month’s muster rolls. The camp is listed as “Camp Harrison’s Landing Va.”

“Regiment left Yorktown on July 1st under Genl Emory and arrived at Hampton July 2nd. Embarked at Fortress Monroe July 7th and arrived same day at Harrison’s Landing on James River to present place of encampment.”

Five captured members of Company M from the Slatersville fight returned to the regiment as paroled prisoners this month. Unfortunately, eight more went missing and were supposed taken prisoner.

The regiment had 848 enlisted men at the end of the month, but only 607 present for duty. Of the 122 troopers absent, 12 were on detached service. The reason for the sharp decrease in absent soldiers was the arrival of Captain Brisbin’s Company L from Washington. Health conditions continued to take a toll on the regiment’s strength, with 62 troopers sick in camp and 96 sick in hospitals away from the regiment. 50 soldiers served on extra duties away from the regiment, mostly as teamsters for the Quartermaster Department. Two troopers were absent on leave, and one was absent without leave.

The monthly return reports one soldier died in June. Private Francis Erlanger of Company G died of disease at Devil’s Island on June 4, 1862. Thirteen privates deserted from the regiment this month. Six privates were discharged for disability since the last return.

No comments: