Sunday, May 3, 2009

What a Great Map!

If you haven't already perused the June 2009 edition of Civil War Times, I heartily encourage you to do so. The magazine continues to improve with every issue. I'm not too interested in McClellan, so the cover story wasn't of too much interest to me, but I was delighted with the map on page 34.

David Fuller crafted an excellent two-page map featuring the majority of the Peninsula campaign, complete with a day by day chronology of the campaigns significant engagements. While it's evident that the author isn't a fan of McClellan, the detail is excellent, and the map is a very good quick reference guide to the campaign

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don,

As you said, this map is an excellent quick reference to the campaign. For the large map, is north to the left of the page? I may have missed the north arrow.

Reminds me a little of Brian's maps on AOTW.

BTW, despite much looking at the route of the HF escape column from Sharpsburg north including contemporary maps, Google Earth, etc., I believe what the participants said about going through fields, farm roads, etc., as there was not a road or net of roads they could have used especially from Mercersville north.

Larry F.

Don said...

Larry,

Thanks for the comment. You might be interested to know I hope to finally get something up on cavalry in the Antietam campaign this summer.

Anonymous said...

Don,

That is good news. I won't have my book out until very late this year or early next year.

I can e-mail you my bibliography if you think it may be of any help or any parts in which you might be interested.

Larry F.

Don said...

Larry,

Yes, I'd actually be very interested in seeing it. You never know where the next clue might come from.

Anonymous said...

Don,

If you PM me at killsour@hotmail.com I will e-mail it to you.

After you look at it, I'd appreciate any additions or comments based on your bibliography since I'm sure I've missed sources.

Larry F.