Friday, February 16, 2007

Going Rates for Researchers?

Could anyone give me an idea of the going rate for paid researchers at the Military History Institute at Carlisle or the National Archives? I spoke with one from Carlisle yetserday, and the rates sounded reasonable, but I really don't have anything to base it on. Hourly rates were in the neighborhood of $35 the first hour, $25 after that, and $.50 a copy including shipping.

It would seem one could get a good bit of material in a pretty short period of time if you use the databases to tell your researcher very specifically what you're looking for. A specific article from the Journal of the U.S. Cavalry Association from 1891, for example, I was able to locate to the call number and number of pages. In some cases, like the volumes of monthly cavalry returns I mentioned a few days ago, for example, more digging by the researcher will be called for.

No comments: