Thursday, September 17, 2009

Short Takes

Some weeks are longer than others, apparently, as it's been rather more than 7 days since my last post. At any rate....

Thank you very much to those who sent their condolences here and elsewhere on the passing of my mother. I took your thoughts and prayers to heart during this difficult time. There are a lot of great folks in the blogosphere, and it shows during difficult times.

What I'm reading: 1861: A Study in Unpreparedness (or something similar, I don't have it in front of me). Very interesting, though I haven't had much time to devote to it.

You wouldn't think there would be a Civil War link to a small town in the far northwest of California, but I managed. Camp Lincoln was established on June 13, 1862 near Crescent City, California by Company G, 2nd Regiment, California Volunteers. It wasn't intended to defend against Confederates, of course, but was established to protect settlers from Indians because all of the regulars had been sent east to fight in the Civil War. It was abandoned in 1869.

No comments: