Monday, September 10, 2007

In Honor of Antietam week

In honor of the anniversary of the battle of Antietam this weekend, the majority of this week's posts will be devoted to a Union accomplishment that was greatly overshadowed by the battle --- the escape of the Union cavalry from the siege of Harper's Ferry. Tomorrow's post will be a Bates letter as I put the finishing touches on a couple of entries, and the coverage will start Wednesday or Thursday. I plan to post entries on setting the stage, principal cavalry leaders, and the escape itself. Stay tuned. I'm considering posting the events themselves on the anniversary of the days they actually happened, but haven't quite made up my mind about that yet.

2 comments:

Brian Downey said...

Looking forward to this, Don.
are we there yet? are we there yet?

Don said...

LOL, we're almost there, Brian. I've had to give up "perfect is good enough" on this one. Haven't been able to find a copy of the 8th New York's history, so will go with what I have and update later as necessary. There will be a slight delay in your product vice the blog, as yours will be footnoted and referenced. The one thing I don't have is a map that shows the route, do you by chance have one?